Amazon announces that they are making another type of EC2 instances available.
These instances have proportionally more CPU resources than RAM (compared to our Standard Instances) and are well suited for compute-intensive applications such as rendering, search indexing, and computational analysis. These new instances include High-CPU Medium and Extra Large Instances – the Extra Large Instance includes 8 virtual cores to meet your computing needs.
The specs look pretty good.
High-CPU Medium Instance
* 1.7 GB of memory
* 5 EC2 Compute Units (2 virtual cores with 2.5 EC2 Compute Units each)
* 350 GB of instance storage
* 32-bit platform
* I/O Performance: Moderate
* Price: $0.20 per instance hour
High-CPU Extra Large Instance
* 7 GB of memory
* 20 EC2 Compute Units (8 virtual cores with 2.5 EC2 Compute Units each)
* 1690 GB of instance storage
* 64-bit platform
* I/O Performance: High
* Price: $0.80 per instance hour